LifeEdited Is Hiring
NOTE: THIS POSITION HAS BEEN FILLED. THANKS FOR ALL OF THE INTEREST.
You know us, read about us, (hopefully) love us. Now work with us. We are hiring a project manager for design, construction and development projects. We consult on small space design in a number of cities in the United States and abroad. And with partners, we are doing more and more development of our own in the New York City area and beyond.
We are looking for a natural organizer to join our small team. We want someone who loves jumping into a project full of unknowns and quickly whipping it into shape by defining the key questions, gating factors, roles, schedules, timelines etc. We want someone who likes working with creatives and with changing parameters, who enjoys their critical role in designing and building amazing projects. An eye for design and design skills are a plus but we want someone who loves being a project manager.
We want an obsessive list-maker, a manic note-taker. We want someone with really strong communication skills who constantly pushes for clarity. We want someone enthusiastic but realistic. We want a double-checker. We want someone with a healthy sense of skepticism and drive to control gating factors. We want someone who makes Plan B and Plan C.
We also want a researcher–someone who can work the Internet and the phone, quickly coming up with answers to FF&E, zoning and whatever questions need to be answered to move the project forward. Someone who knows the answer is out there and will hunt it down.
And we want someone who loves building, who has a great understanding of how buildings are constructed, who ideally has spent a lot of time on construction sites and who loves creatively working out the real life problems that inevitably arise on site.
We’re on a mission to build the buildings of the future, and we want someone who will get stuff done on time, on budget and on point to help us in that mission.
- Candidates must have 3+ years of experience in managing interior design projects, construction projects, small to medium real estate development projects or similar.
- More experience is a definite plus.
- The ideal candidate will live in New York City or near enough to travel in as needed.
- Experience with the entire project lifecycle, from proposal to post-occupancy.
- Reasonable knowledge of building codes and standards.
- Knows their way around a pro-forma and enjoys it.
- Has managed at least small to medium sized construction projects.
- Help scope opportunities and help prepare proposals/contracts.
- Create clear objectives for the project.
- Create the overall plan for the project.
- Manage project scheduling, budgets, and the team.
- Manage consulting projects ranging in budget from $50,000 to $300,000.
- Manage portions of development projects up to $20,000,000.
- Manage construction projects, initially in the $1,00,000-5,000,000 range.
- Research new products and technologies for green development (this is quite important to us).
Key desired characteristics:
- A strong desire to create very green solutions.
- A natural organizer.
- A desire to innovate.
- Adaptable to and interested in new technology.
- Strong research skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- A self-starter who can easily work remotely if need be.
- An understanding of design principles.
- Design skills are a plus (but comfortable not being the designer).
- Drive and knowledge to build in a smart, cost-effective manner.
- Prior startup experience is a plus, but not required.
- NCIDQ certification a plus, but not required.
LifeEdited was founded in 2009, by the founder of TreeHugger.com for the express purpose of showing that people can live big in small spaces. Environmental thinking underlies everything we do. Our first showcase apartment struck a resonant chord in the media with two features in the NY Times, who called it “The apartment of the future.” It is one of the few apartments with its own TED talk and has also been featured in Dwell, Wired UK, Gizmodo, Daily Mail UK, the Today Show, and has generated tens of millions of views. Since then, we have consulted on high-rise apartment buildings and done a bunch of our own development. Our intent is nothing less than to give people a new way to live–a greener, less expensive, more socially progressive, happier way of life. A key goal for us is to create the apartment building of the future.
LifeEdited is not traditional. We are creative entrepreneurs. We do not easily fit into real estate categories like ‘’interior designer’ and ‘developer’. We’re a hybrid. If you talk with us, you’ll understand.
If you are interested and meet the qualifications above, please apply and follow our directions exactly. As part of the application process, we will ask you for samples (links) of projects that you have worked on.