LifeEdited 2 (LE2) is a prototype for apartments in future LifeEdited buildings. It allows dwellers to live a big, happy, smart, green, and simplified life in a 350 sft apartment that functions like one twice its size. You may have already seen it on the cover of the November issue of Dwell.
LifeEdited began in 2010 when Graham Hill, founder of popular eco website TreeHugger, crowdsourced his 420 sft New York City apartment. It demonstrated the “less but better” lifestyle by creating a beautiful apartment with the functionality of a much larger space. LifeEdited 1 (LE1) seats 12 for dinner, has proper sleeping quarters for 2 guests, a great home office, a home theater, and is extremely energy efficient. With its own TED talk, two NYT features and coverage by most major media outlets, it has become one of the most widely published apartments in the world.
Completed in 2016, LE2 is smaller than LE1 but amazingly manages similar functionality. It graciously seats 10 for dinner, hosts two in a guest room, and has a great home office. Our approach to achieve this:
- A room that transforms from bedroom to living room to dining room to boardroom
- A room that transforms from home office to bar to guest bedroom
- Resource Furniture transforming furnishings including a Penelope murphy bed/couch, a Passo coffee/dining/boardroom table, and two New Concept fold-down desks
- More transforming furnishings including a Hufcor accordion wall and a set of LifeEdited-designed couch segments / guest bed manufactured by Resource Furniture
- Life simplifying technology such as Insteon lighting controls, an automated August Smart Lock, Amazon Echo voice control, Apple TV, and Kanto speakers
- Energy savers such as a BigAss Haiku fan, Hunter Douglas motorized blinds, and Plumen LEDs
- Water savers such as stylish Kohler fixtures, a SMEG 24″ Classic Built-in Speed Oven, 18″ Fully Integrated Panel-ready Dishwasher, 24″ Fully Integrated Panel-ready Refrigerator, and a Franke water filter
- Security and health tools such as a Nest Protect, a Nest Cam Indoor, and a Blueair Sense+ air purifier and Blueair Aware sensor
- Texture and richness from a herringbone oak floor, walnut cabinetry, Filzfelt wall, Lithoverde marble, KBH mirror, Santimetre ceramics, and Ann Sacks all tied together with brass and MadeMeasure leather details.
Interested in buying or renting LE2 (this apartment)?
Interested in buying or renting others like it? Enter your email in the second box at the upper right-hand corner of this page for more info.
Subscribe to our daily or weekly newsletter!
A massive thank you to all that helped make this a reality:
Design: LifeEdited, Architect of Record: Guerin Glass, Build: Composite Fabrication, Expeditor: J. Callahan
Extra special thanks to Andrei Butusina, Catalin Sandu, David Friedlander, Andrew Skey, Karolina Wydra, Scott Glass, Shawn Ruddy, Jorge Faz, Bill Byers, Casey Martin, Leah Solomon, Jayson Halladay and the Resource Furniture crew.
Big thanks to Dwell, Sean Sliger, Joanna Sjostrand, Adam Finkelman, Francesca Michel, Lloyd Alter and the TreeHugger crew, Lawrence Hudson, Wing Deng, Sokol Hoti, 150 Sullivan’s board and Paul Brensilber of Jordan Cooper, and others, without whom the project would not have been possible and whom we’ve somehow forgotten to include! 🙂